We tested out the bike share app Ride’s PWA version. Ride shows you real-time information about the bike scheme in your city.
So once you launch your app you’re shown a list of all the bike stations near you, how many are available and how many spaces there are left.
If you move along to the next section in navigation bar, you have a map of the surrounding areas near you. Moving around the app you will see these dots:
- Green is a place with lots of bikes
- Amber has a few to a low amount
- And red means there are no available
So what are our thoughts on the Ride PWA after using it.
- It does have a while to go in terms of having full access to features such as push notifications, which are actually coming soon according to the notification section.
- And maybe potentially a profile, allowing you to favourite bike stations, or ones available on your route.
All that aside, I think something like this is a fantastic idea and works really well as a Progressive Web App. Allowing offline access and being installable and scalable as a desktop version.